Sunday, November 1, 2015

Tsotsi


Tsotsi, although an Oscar winning film, was a struggle for me to watch. This film did not capture my attention and did not keep me engaged. However raw and edgy it was, the film did a good job of portraying the harshness of South African culture. I didn't enjoy the film but it was still a learning experience. Watching the film made me reflect on American culture and how I grew up. I think many people judge Tsotsi (as did I) for his actions. But we must keep in mind his background and up bringing. How much does a person's past experiences affect their future actions? To be honest I had a hard time paying attention to music in this film. Watching foreign films is new to me and most of my attention goes to reading the subtitles and focusing on the action. The biggest sound that grabbed my interest was the language. I love listening to other languages being spoken. It's interesting how one language can make absolutely no sense to one person but to another person is perfectly clear. Africa is known for its countries having many languages and dialects.  The music in this film was very different than music in most American films. I enjoyed it even though I feel that I missed a lot of it being distracted by reading subtitles.Overall I did not like the movie at all but it allowed me to broaden my world view and knowledge of other cultures and countries.






1 comment:

  1. This is a thoughtful reflection. I appreciate that, despite not liking the movie (that's A-OK), you were able to glean some themes from it. Mimi

    ReplyDelete